How to apply skip logic to a survey?
Skip logic or question branching provides you with the capability to jump to the next appropriate question or page based on how the respondent replied to the current question.
Skip logic ideally serves both the respondent and the survey owner. The respondent will complete a survey that avoids questions that are inappropriate based on their prior responses. The survey owner benefits by receiving superior responses and higher completion rates.
Why do surveys with skip logic offer a more effective user experience? Surveys written with the assumption that each question applies to everyone, regardless of the responses captured, is risking the possibility a creating a frustrated respondent and, possibly, one who quickly abandons the survey. In truth, no one wants to take a survey that does not specifically pertain to them.
How do you successfully address this effective survey strategy? The first step is to organize all of your survey questions. Which ones will elicit responses that trigger a unique path? Think of each question as an actual tree with potential branches. Once you have isolated those questions which will require conditional branches, use the tools provided by Surveyol to make skip logic a reality in your survey.
Skip logic is a win-win for everyone. The surveys that respect each respondents' time will achieve higher data quality and a significantly lower abandonment rate.
- On the Dashboard page, click on the "Edit" link for your survey.
- Click on the "Logic & Quota" link from header menu, or the "Logic & Quota" icon from the side menu.
- Choose a page or a question.
- If a question is chosen, the operator menu will show up. Depending on different question types, the operator options may vary.
Multiple Choice (Single-select), Image Choice (Single-select), Dropdown
is, is not, is any of the following, is not any of the following, is answered, is not answered
Multiple Choice (Multi-select), Image Choice (Multi-select)
is, is not, contains any of the following, is answered, is not answered
NPS, Star Rating, Scale, Slider
is, is not, is greater than, is greater than or equal to, is less than, is less than or equal to, is answered, is not answered
Textbox, Comment Box
is, is not, contains, starts with, ends with, is answered, is not answered
Is, is not, is between, is answered, is not answered
is answered, is not answered
- Choose an operator.
- If applicable, choose or enter the expected answer(s) for the condition.
- Add more conditions as needed.
- Choose the page you'd like your user to be redirected to when the condition(s) meet.
- Click on the "Save" button to save the rule.
To add more rules, click on "+ New Rule". When completed, click on the "Done" button to go back to the main screen.
It should be noted that:
- Skip Logic takes effect when a survey participant clicks the Next or Done button to advance through the survey.
- Page messages are customizable. Please refer to the article How to customize buttons and messages?
Search for articles: